top of page

This photo of Lohman's Landing was taken prior to the turn of the nineteenth century. Lohman’s Landing, located at the foot of Jefferson Street in Jefferson City. The Lohman Landing Building (white), circa 1834 and listed on the National Register of Historic Places, is the oldest existing building in the city. During the steamboat era this building was used as inn, store, warehouse, living quarters, agent headquarters for steamboat companies and headquarters for Wharfmaster.   The landing was port of entry for early settlers and commerce to Jefferson City and the surrounding area.

The open area in the center foreground of the photograph and behind (South) of the Lohman Building was once home to Priesmeyer Shoe Factory which later became Tweedie Footwear. The factory was built in the early 1900s and demolished during the 1960s when the land was purchased by the state government.

The Old Missouri State Capitol Building in the center background was the building that burned in September 1911 when struck by a bolt of lightning.

The Union Hotel, circa 1855 (right hand corner) was built by Captain Charles B. Maus and was built to accommodate travelers arriving on the newly built Pacific Railroad. It was originally known as the “Missouri House” and underwent several name changes until 1865, when Captain Maus, a Civil War veteran, changed the name to reflect his loyalty to the U.S. government. It presently serves as a depot for Amtrak.

The small house in the left hand corner of the picture is the Christopher Maus House, built about 1854. Christopher was a brother of Charles Maus.

High and Madison Streets - 1890's

Looking East on High Street at the intersection of High and Madison The large white building at the upper left of the picture was torn down and replaced by the Central Bank building in 1915-1916. When this photograph was taken, the bank occupied the Hope Building at 201 East High Street, across Madison near the top center of the picture. The Hope Building is one of the oldest buildings in Jefferson City, built around 1833-1843 and has served a number of retail businesses over the years. The building has been nicely restored and is presently occupied by Cook, Vetter, Doerhoff & Landwehr, Attorneys.

High Street Looking East at Jefferson Street

1890 High Street at Jefferson, looking east.  On the right is Lohman's Store and Opera House.  On the left is Schott's Windmill and Marketplace.

Main Street (Capitol Ave.) looking West from Adams

To the right at 327 E. Capitol is the Christian Church; the cornerstone was laid in 1883. This structure was replaced by the current church building in 1909. In the distance on the same side of the Street you can see the spire of the First Baptist Church at 301 E. Capitol.

E. Main St. (Capitol) from Jackson looking East

The building on the right at 500 E. Main was called Ivy Terrace and was built in 1893 for Lon Stephens. He and his wife Maggie lived in the home for three years prior to his election as Governor in 1896. Following his term as Governor, Mr. Stephens helped form Central Missouri Trust Company and was President of the bank for three years until he and his wife moved to St. Louis. This was the G. A. Fischer home in 1912.

Dunklin Street looking East from Madison

Dunklin Street looking East from Madison in 1912 and 2006.

Dunklin Street looking East from Washington

Dunklin Street looking East from Washington in 1912 and 2006.

Corner of High and Jefferson looking West

Merchant's Bank in on the southwest corner (left). The Central Hotel is across the street on the northwest corner. This photograph was taken before the hotel was remodeled and expanded in 1899. The buildings on the right are now gone and the property is part of the Capitol grounds. The white building midway through the block on the right is the old post office.

Aerial View of Jefferson City Looking East

Jefferson City looking east - St. Peter's Church in the center foreground with Sellinger Center on the corner to the left. Across the street and from Sellinger Center is the Armory that once stood on the Capitol grounds. The Supreme Court building is over the spire of St. Peter's Church. The street running east, beside the armory, was vacated and the block between the street and the Supreme Court building became part of the Capitol grounds. It is estimated this photograph was taken in the late teens early 20s, probably from the top of the new water tower at the corner of West Main Street and Brooks Street.

Looking East on Main Street from the Capitol

The large white building to the right is the Missouri Department of Transportation. The oldest portion of this building was constructed in 1928. An addition was made to the east of the original building in 1955. This resulted in the destruction of a number of public buildings and local residences, including the original Supreme Court Building and the home of lumber dealer Louis L. Ott. Mr. Ott lived at 200 Jefferson St. across from what is now the Jefferson State Office Building. The Jefferson Building was once the location of the Ott Lumber Company first owned by Louis Ott's father, Philip Ott.

Looking East on Main Street from the Capitol

The corner building on the north side of the street is the Monroe House Hotel and Saloon, built in the 1870s and remodeled in 1884, and is now occupied by the law firm Inglish & Monaco, P. C.  The building on the opposite corner housed the old City Hall and was known as Bragg Hall. It was built in the 1870s and was surmounted by a "fire bell" which called volunteer fire-fighters.  The second image is an artist's rendering of the area, circa 1891.  

bottom of page