The Cole County Historical Society is dedicated to the collection and preservation of records, documents, and artifacts directly related to the history of Cole County, including its role as the seat of Missouri State government. The society shall maintain its records, collections, and artifacts for public display, education, and scholarly research to afford Cole County residents the opportunity to preserve, understand and share their heritage.
The Cole County Historical Society was formed as a not-for-profit organization July 24, 1941. The dedication of the original Society members and those who quickly joined made it possible to purchase the original Museum building in 1946, and to complete the necessary renovation prior to the official opening at a reception on May 17, 1948.
The Society is responsible for the maintenance and operation of the Museum and the Upschulte House. Funds for these purposes have been and are, derived solely from membership contributions, fund raising projects, admission fees, and individual donations. The museum and library are staffed primarily by volunteers. The Society depends upon individual and corporate gifts and bequests.