top of page

Charles Frederick Tanner

C. F. Tanner was born in Muenichberg, Kingdom of Bavaria, Germany, October 1, 1826. He was educated there where he learned the trade of millwright, miller and carpenter, at which business he worked from the age of fifteen. He immigrated to America in 1849, stopping in St. Louis a few months then coming to Jefferson City in the spring of 1850.

He first worked as a carpenter, then in connection with his brother, Jacob, rebuilt and improved the Glover Mill south of Jefferson City which they eventually purchased. Following a flood in 1858 they disposed of this mill and built a brick store at 700 Jefferson Street where Jacob engaged in general merchandising.

Soon after disposing of his interest to his brother, they went together and purchased the old Riggins Mill four miles west of the city. They ran the mill for four years then sold out and came to Jefferson City where he worked as a carpenter and contractor.

In 1883, his eldest son, Theodore, returned from Kansas City where he had acquired a knowledge of machinery, its manufacture and repair. They began The Tanner Machine Shop and Foundry at 710 South Jefferson Street with Theo Tanner as proprietor.

Miss Margaret Stoehr of Jefferson City became the wife of Charles Tanner and to this union was born eleven children. Chris, Charles and Annie died in childhood. Theodore was head of the machine shop, assisted by Ludwig and Julius. The daughters were Christina, the wife of Conrad Bowman of St. Louis, Barbara, Maggie, Edna and Antonia. Charles Tanner was a member of the Evangelical Central Church and served as city alderman for one term. The family resided at 109 W. Dunklin. Charles Tanner died in 1904.

Jacob Tanner

Jacob Tanner was a merchant and dealer in farm implements for many years. HE was born in Bavaria May 14, 1829, the son of Conrad and Johanna Tanner. HE was reared and educated in Germany, and there learned the millwright’s trade.

In 1853 Jacob Tanner came to America, reaching New York after a six weeks’ voyage. From there he went to Ohio, then to Lawrenceburg, Indiana, and then to Jefferson City where in 1855 he built Glover’s Mill, the first water mill in Cole County. In 1856 he and his brother, Charles, bought this mill operated it to 1859 when it was swept away in a flood. In 1858 they erected a substantial brick building at Jefferson and Dunklin streets and there conducted a mercantile business for many years. In 1866 he bought a steam flouring mill and three hundred acres of land near Jefferson City.

In 1854 Jacob Tanner married Henrietta Kastner, a native of Bavaria by whom he had seven children. He served as county treasurer, city treasurer and was a member of the city council of Jefferson City. Jacob Tanner died in 1914 after a lengthy illness.

Herman Tanner

Henry Tanner, son of Jacob and Henrietta Tanner, born in Jefferson City December 5, 1858, was associated with his father in the mercantile business until the death of the latter. Following Jacob Tanner’s death the store was divided and August Tanner took over the grocery department while Herman operated the other lines of merchandise including dry goods, shoes, queensware, etc. He remained in the mercantile business until his retirement in 1926. He died October 31, 1930.

While the management of his business and the rearing of his family were his chief interests, Herman Tanner was interested in the commercial and moral progress of his home city. He was actively interested in politics, a member of the Republican Party.

In 1884 he married Caroline Schubert, a native of St. Louis whose parents died when she was a child. Mr. and Mrs. Tanner were the parents of five children. Dr. E.T. Tanner was a dentist with offices in the Central Trust Building; W.C. Tanner, funeral director, conducted his business at the building at Jefferson and Dunklin built by his grandfather; Fred Tanner was a druggist and served as county assessor; Miss Edith was an employee of the Exchange National Bank; and Mrs. Edna Sullivan, wife of Larry Sullivan (see sketch), electrical contractor, assisted her husband in his business.

Dr. E. T. Tanner

E. T. Tanner, Jefferson City dentist, was the son of Herman F. Tanner and the grandson of Jacob Tanner. He was born in this city July 24, 1890. Following completion of grade school and high school work in Jefferson City, Dr. Tanner’s college work was done in St. Louis University and Washington University, St. Louis with post-graduate work in Vienna, Austria.

Dr. Tanner served in World War I, with the rank of first Lieutenant. He was a member of the Evangelical Church, the Masonic Lodge, the Psi Omega fraternity, the American Dental Association, the Missouri Dental Association and National Honor Dental Society, Omincron Kappa Upsilon.

Dr. Tanner married Miss Kathryn Lee in 1922. They had one son, Bob Harvey Tanner.

Fred H. Tanner

Fred H. Tanner, druggist, son of Herman Tanner and grandson of Jacob Tanner, was born in Jefferson City, June 4, 1894. His working career started as a messenger boy for the Postal Telegraph Company, after which he worked for ten years for the First National Bank. He then went into the automobile business, selling his business on being elected city assessor in 1926.

At the expiration of his term as city assessor in 1928, he was elected county assessor on the Republican ticket, serving until January 1, 1933. From 1933 to 1937 he was city councilman from the Fifth Ward. In June 1933 he opened his own drug store on Ash Street just south of High Street.

Mr. Tanner entered military service during World War I. He was assigned to duty with the draft board and the adjutant general’s office and had not the opportunity for service overseas. June 23, 1920, he was married to Miss Estelle Dirckx, daughter of C. A. Dirckx (see sketch), veteran Cole County official. Mr. and Mrs. Tanner had two children; Marjorie was born November 8, 1924 and Donald Frederick January 9, 1929. He was a member of the Masonic Lodge, of the Evangelical Church and of the American Legion.

W. C. Tanner

W. C. Tanner, son of Herman and Caroline Tanner, was born in Jefferson City in 1892. After leaving school he went to work for the Hugh Stephens Printing Company as pressman, remaining there until World War I when he enlisted in 1918. Mr. Tanner was sent to Camp Upton, New Jersey, where he was assigned to service with medical and hospital units. He was sent to France where he was stationed at Bordeaux and Brest for a time. During his service he attended to the bodies of hundreds of soldiers who lost their lived in action, acquiring an expert knowledge of embalming which proved of value to him when he returned to the United States.

On his return to Jefferson City following his discharge, Mr. Tanner formed a partnership with Frank Jones and S. w. Dawson and established the Dawson-Tanner Undertaking Company. This company was first established at McCarty and Monroe streets. Later it was moved to the store building erected by his grandfather at the corner of Jefferson and Dunklin. Mr. Dawson died December 13, 1937. The firm name was changed in May 1938 to Tanner Funeral Home. The building and business was destroyed by fire in 1969.

Mr. Tanner was married to Miss Mabel Collins in 1920. She was the daughter of W. E. Collins, a Missouri Pacific conductor.

William H. Tellman

William Henry Tellman was the fourth generation of his family to live in Cole County. He was born at Wardsville February 24, 1888. His parents, Peter P. and Magdalene Hagner Tellman were also born at Wardsville, Peter on August 4, 1858 and Magdalene on May 16, 1860. His paternal great-grandparents, Herman and Susannah Tellman, natives of Hanover, Germany, came from Pennsylvania to Cole County in 1837. His paternal grandfather donated half the land comprising the site of the town of Wardsville.

August Tellman, William’s great uncle, enlisted in the home guards in the Civil War and was stationed at Jefferson City. His unit, while making a trip to Wardsville, was attacked by guerillas. In the maneuvers following the attack his band was through mistake fired upon by their own men and August Tellman was killed.

William H. Tellman was educated in the parochial and public schools of Wardsville. In 1905, at the age of seventeen, he came to Jefferson City where for five years he was employed in a shoe factory. The following year, with F. E. Breslin, he learned the tailoring trade, and in 1911 opened a cleaning and pressing establishment of his own which he conducted for twenty-one years.

In October 1932 he sold his business and joined the Means Ray Insurance Company where he worked until January 1934. From January until April he was statistician for the National Re-employment Service in Jefferson City and during the remainder of the year was a clerk in the office of the state treasurer. He was elected county clerk in 1934 and re-nominated by a very large majority in 1938.

On November 21, 1912, Mr. Tellman was married to Miss Ethel Hart Phillips, daughter of Maloney C. and Luella Jane Stone Philips. Mrs. Tellman was born in this city November 28, 1890. She passed away January 21, 1933, leaving four children: William Donald, James Joseph (who died in 1935), Jeremy Paul and Jane Anne. Mrs. Tellman’s parents were both natives of Jefferson City.

Mr. Tellman was a member of the Catholic Church and the Knights of Columbus. He was also active in the Chamber of Commerce, Rotary Club, boy scouts, Missouri Society for Crippled Children and served in an executive capacity in most of them.

Capt. C. W. Thomas

Captain Charles W. Thomas was born in Boston July 26, 1841 and died in Jefferson City December 21, 1899. His ancestors came from Wales and settled in Massachusetts in 1640. At the age of fifteen he was employed in the general store of an uncle, Edgar M. Brown, of South Adams, Massachusetts. In 1856 he returned to Boston and accepted a position in the wholesale dry goods house of Jewetts, Tebbets & Co., where he remained until July 1862, when he enlisted as a private soldier in the 2nd Massachusetts Infantry.

He was promoted to lieutenant and his regiment, in connection with the 3rd Wisconsin and 22nd Indiana, met and repulsed the assaults of D. H. Hill’s division of Lee’s army in the battle of Gettysburg. The captain of his company fell early in the engagement and the command fell upon Lieutenant Thomas. After this engagement his regiment was removed to New York where it remained two weeks, patrolling the city and maintaining order. Returning to the Army of the Potomac they joined the corps of the 12th, commanded by General Slocum. This corps was consolidated with the 11th in a new organization and became the 20th, commanded by General Hooker. They were sent west to the Army of the Cumberland. After leaving Chattanooga May 1, 1864, Capt. Thomas was continually on the firing line in General Sherman’s memorable campaign in Georgia.

Following the Civil War, Capt. Thomas came to Jefferson City and during the administration of Gov. Fletcher held a clerkship under General Samuel P. Simpson who was then Adjutant General of the State. In 1869 he went into the grocery business and continued until his death in 1899.

On October 16, 1866, he was united in marriage to Miss Ophelia Bolton, daughter of Dr. William Bolton, a prominent physician in Jefferson City. To this union four children were born: Charles Kent died in infancy; William Edgar worked for Union National Bank of Kansas City; Cecil (see sketch) and Theodore both worked in the office of Capt. S. Waters Fox, U.S. Engineer, in charge of river improvements.

Capt. Thomas was a Republican in politics, a member of the Jefferson City Lodge No. 43 AF & AM and a member of the James A. Garfield Post No. 6 GAR and of the Loyal Legion. The family resided at 507 East Main Street. He was buried in Woodlawn Cemetery.

Cecil W. Thomas

Cecil Warren Thomas was born in 1871 in Missouri and died in September 1928 in Cole County, Missouri. On November 27, 1902, he married Celeste Bolton Price in the Price Mansion which stood on the present site of the Missouri Supreme Court building. It was the last social function in the mansion and the guest list included 500 friends and relatives from all over the United States. After a honeymoon trip to New York, Boston and Baltimore, the couple made their home with the Celeste’s widowed mother at 428 East Main Street (Capitol Ave.).

Cecil W. Thomas served two terms (1911 and 1923) as Mayor of Jefferson City. During his administration great strides were made in building streets and other city improvements.

Celeste Price Thomas, obituary – 1953

Funeral services will be held at 11 a.m. Monday at the Grace Episcopal Church for Mrs. Celeste Price Thomas, 74, who died at her home 428 Capitol Ave., Friday night. The Rev. Ned Cole will officiate, and burial will be in Riverview Cemetery.


The widow of former Mayor Cecil Thomas and a prominent figure in social and civic affairs here, Mrs. Thomas had been in failing health for two years.

Mrs. Thomas was born July 2, 1878, on a farm in Pettis County, the daughter of Thomas B. and Ada C. Price, members of old and prominent families of Central Missouri. Her mother was a native of Rockingham County, Va., and her father was born in the old Price Mansion which stood on the present site of the Missouri Supreme court building.

In 1902 she was married to Cecil Warren Thomas. Mr. Thomas was mayor of Jefferson City a number of years when the city made big strides in building of streets and other improvements. He died in 1928 while her mother, Mrs. Ada Price, died seven years ago.

The Price mansion, owned by her parents, is marked by a bronze tablet at the corner of High and Washington Streets. Mrs. Thomas was a member of the Grace3 Episcopal Church and St. Mary’s Guild and for a number of years was a member of Tuesday Club.

She is survived by a niece, Mrs. James D. Idol, of Jefferson City; a grand-nephew, Thomas Price Gibson of Jefferson City; a grand-niece, Mrs. Robert Mead of Dallas, Texas; and a cousin, Loring Turner of Jefferson City.

Active pallbearers will be W.P. Salisbury, W.M. Lazenby, S.C. Vincent, L.F. Garber, J.C. Patrick and W.E. Towell. Honorary pallbearers will be W.W. Bratton, William Hager, Hugh Stephens, Judge C.A. Leedy, Herman Brandt, V.A. McBride, Wendell Manchester, J.B. Gibson, Dr. F.M. Gillham, Dr. John I. Matthews, Dr. Earl Lloyd and Oscar Raithel.

L. D. Thompson

L. D. Thompson was Missouri State Treasurer for four years and State Auditor for eight years before entering into the insurance business in Jefferson City January 1, 1933. He was a native of central Missouri, born at Vandalia, November 22, 1873. He was the son of Andrew and Druscilla Branstetter Thompson. His father, a Union soldier in the Civil War, moved with the family to Callaway County in 1886.

In 1897 Mr. Thompson became postmaster of New Bloomfield, a position he held for seventeen years. For six years he was on the executive committee of the Missouri State Postmasters’ League, and was its secretary and treasurer for two years. In 1901 he married Miss Ellen Bryan of Callaway County. They had two children, Mabel and Lewis Bryan. Mr. Thompson was a merchant in New Bloomfield for more than twenty years. He was always active in civic and political affairs and at the age of twenty-three became a member of the Callaway County Republican Central Committee on which he served for twenty-four consecutive years until his election as state treasurer.

Dr. Charles A. Thompson

Dr. C. A. Thompson was born at Sandusky, Ohio, March 27, 1824 and died in Jefferson City December 15, 1898. He was the son of Giles and Mary French Thompson, natives of the White Mountain State, the father being English and the mother of Irish descent. Dr. Thompson’s direct ancestors came to America one year after the landing of the Mayflower at Plymouth Rock, the family then being composed of three brothers, one being John who was the lineal antecedent of Dr. Thompson. They originally settled in the New Haven, Connecticut area but later moved to New Hampshire.

His grandfather was a soldier in the Revolutionary War and his father in the war of 1812. In 1818 his father moved to Sandusky, Ohio, being one of the first settlers of that district, where he farmed. Dr. Thompson was reared largely in Michigan and educated in the White Pigeon University at Branch. He began the study of medicine at the age of 21 and graduated from the Indiana Medical College in 1849, at which time he began practice at Lima, IN.

In 1856 he moved to Urbana IL where he remained until the close of the Civil War, except when performing his duties as surgeon of the Thirteenth and Nineteenth Illinois Volunteers. This service continued until 1865 when he moved to Jefferson City where he remained for the rest of his life.

He was physician for the penitentiary during the administrations of Governors Fletcher and Brown, twenty years President of the Board of Pensions, and twenty years Secretary of the Missouri Medical Association. During Governor Francis’ administration he was a member of the Board of Managers of the Deaf and Dumb Institute at Fulton.

He was a Republican in politics. His widow, Maria survived him, making her home at 117 Madison Street, together with his adopted daughter, Miss Adelaide J. Thompson who was a librarian at the public library. Dr. Thompson was buried at the National Cemetery.

Clem W. Thornton

Clem W. Thornton was born on a Cole County farm in 1882, near the junction of Ten Mile Drive and Boonville Road. Mr. Thornton was educated in the Jefferson City public schools. At the age of seventeen he was employed by the Bockrath Shoe Company and later by the Giesecke Boot and Shoe Company.

In July 1910 he established the Capital City Laundry at 310 East Water Street, the first complete steam laundry in the city. In 1917 his company purchased the Model Swan Laundry and moved to 216 East Main Street, now Capitol Avenue. The company progressed rapidly and in 1921 it purchased the property at 315 and 317 Monroe and moved the plant to that location.

Mr. Thornton was a member of the Chamber of Commerce, a member and past president of the Kiwanis Club, vice-president of the Cole County Building and Loan Association. He was lieutenant in the Missouri National Guard during Governor Dockery’s administration and a captain of the home guards during World War I. He was a member of the Baptist Church.

Mr. Thornton was the son of Will C. Thornton who was born in Batavia, Ohio in 1838 and died in Jefferson City in 1914. Will C. Thornton was a Union soldier in the Civil War, while most of his relatives were with the Confederacy. He married Mary E. McCann who was born in Ghent, Carroll County, Kentucky, in 1849 and died in Jefferson City inn 1936. The Thornton family records go back to William H. Thornton, born in 1778.

Clem W. Thornton was married to Frances Lee Padgett in 1910. Their son, Padgett W. Thornton, worked in the family laundry business. Mrs. Thornton’s father was Pleasant Henderson Padgett, born in North Carolina in 1843, died in Versailles, Missouri in 1924. His wife was Mary Virginia Shelton, born in Virginia in 1851, died in Tipton, Missouri in 1935. Mrs. Thornton’s ancestral records date back to 1760. Pleasant Padgett was wounded in the battle of Gettysburg.

Dr. Jefferson L. Thorpe

Dr. Jefferson L. Thorpe, son of Dr. A.B. and Abigail (Shaon) Thorpe, was a native of Jefferson City, where he was born July 5, 1862, at the home of his grandfather, Capt. J. T. Rodgers. His maternal great-grandfather was John Yount, whose parents were natives of Holland, came from Alabama early in the nineteenth century and settled in Callaway County where they erected the first brick house in that county.

His father’s ancestors came from England with the Puritans. Dr. A.B. Thorpe was a prominent physician associated in practice with Dr. Gray at California, MO and he died when Jefferson was two years old.

J. L. Thorpe’s early education was in the public schools of California, MO, at White’s Academy and later the State University at Columbia, MO. He began study in Dr. Gray’s office in California, MO, followed by a short period with Dr. Davison of Jefferson City, after which he entered the St. Louis Medical College, graduating from there in 1886. He came to Jefferson City and set up his practice.

He was appointed to fill the unexpired term of Dr. A.D. Standish at the State Prison and served about two years, declining further appointments. He was appointed District Surgeon of the Missouri Pacific Railway Company in 1887. He was Secretary of the Board of Pensions eleven years (1887-1898) In the fall of 1893 he was elected on the Democratic ticket as Coroner of Cole County and immediately resigned. In 1896 he took a post-graduate course at the Polyclinic School of Medicine of New York City.

He was united in marriage October 1, 1889, to Helen C., daughter of Capt. W.C. Thomas of California, MO. and they had a daughter, Mildred. Dr. Thorpe was a member of Jefferson Lodge AF & AM, No. 43, a Knight Templar, a member of the Brotherhood of Elks and Medical Examiner of the MWA.

Thomas Oliver Towles

Major Thomas Oliver Towels was born in Columbia, VA April 4, 1840. His grandfather, Maj. Oliver Towles came to Missouri in 1819 and died four years later (1823) at Cape Girardeau. Two of his sons and one daughter subsequently moved to Saline County, MO and lived there many years.

Thomas Oliver Towles received a thorough classical and collegiate education. He studied law under Hon. Stephen O. Southall, for many years Professor of Law at the University of Virginia. He showed a fondness for journalism early in life, and while a college student became editor of a newspaper.

He joined the Confederate Army in April 1861, and served throughout the Civil War and was present at the bombardment and surrender of Fort Sumter in Charleston Harbor in 1861. He also witnessed the fearful work of the Confederate iron-clad Merrimac in James River and Hampton Roads, VA on March 8, 1862 and the great naval fight on the next day between the Merrimac and the Monitor.

When the war ended Major Towles resumed his study of law. He came to Missouri in 1866, living awhile in St. Louis and then Lewis County for several years, coming to Jefferson City in 1874. He entered political life in Missouri as first editor of the LaGrange (MO) Democrat, a newspaper founded in 1867. He continued as its editor until 1875. He was a member of the Democrat State Convention at St. Louis in 1868, and served as Assistant Chief Clerk of the House of Representatives of Missouri (1873-1875). He was appointed Assistant Clerk of the U.S. House of Representatives (1875-1877), subsequently becoming Chief Clerk. He was elected Secretary of the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee (1890-91) and made Secretary of the National Democratic Bi-metalic Committee in 1895. This committee organized the Free Silver Democrats of the U.S. in the great struggle for control and management of the National Democratic Convention at Chicago.

During the administration of Hon. William J. Stone as Governor or Missouri, he was a member of the Governor’s Military Staff and served with the rank and commission of Brigadier General.

He was married in Jefferson City in 1885 to Miss Florence M., daughter of Judge Ephraim B. Ewing of the Missouri Supreme Court. They had two sons, William Beverly and Eph Ewing. The family made their home at 612 East Main Street. Major Towles died August 13, 1910 and Florence died May 22, 1927.

George Washington Tremaine

George Washington Tremain of Russellville was born on a farm in Miller County near Tuscumbia, September 3, 1873, where he remained until the age of thirteen, attending the neighboring schools. He was later a student at the Aurora Springs Academy and took a course at the State Normal at Warrensburg.

He began teaching at age seventeen. In 1889 he became foreman of the office of the Aurora Springs “Crescent”, a weekly publication, where he continued one year. In 1895 he moved to Russellville, purchasing the “Rustler” which he managed for four years, selling to his brother.

Mr. Tremain was married in 1893 to Miss Jennie Weaver of Indiana, whose parents had recently moved to Eldon in Miller County. Three children were born of this union, two boys and one girl. Mr. Tremain was a talented musician, adept at most musical instruments and an exceptional vocalist. He was a Democrat in politics.

Marcus L. Tremaine

Marcus L. Tremain was born in Calhoun County, IL on February 14, 1870, the son of Dr. G. W. Tremain. When he was an infant his parents moved to a farm near Tuscumbia in Miller County. Marcus continued on the farm until the age of 16, when his parents moved to Aurora Springs where he attended the Miller County Academy two and one-half years.

Mr. Tremain taught in Miller and Morgan Counties from 1888 to 1893 when he moved to Calhoun County, IL where he taught until 1899. At that time he purchased the “Russleville Rustler” newspaper from his brother.

He was married December 25, 192, to Miss Rosa B., daughter of J.M.T. Miller, whose father was the first settler of Miller County and its namesake. They had one son, John Lyman. Rosa died in March 1894 and on April 21, 1898 Marcus was married to Miss Laura A. Flagge who bore him two sons, Lindley E. and Rawleigh L. They were members of the Christian Church.

William M. Turbett

William M. Turbett was born in Kingston, Ontario, Canada, August 18, 1882, the son of John J. and Elizabeth Drearry Turbett. His father was born in Boston, his mother in Ireland. He was left an orphan at an early age. He went to New York at the age of sixteen where he worked on the Staten Island Rapid Transit Company. He became a skilled machinist, and worked for a number of corporations, coming to Jefferson City about 1906 where he worked for the Missouri Pacific Railway Company for fifteen years.

In 1916 he was given the Republican nomination for representative of Cole County and was elected then re-elected two years later. He was elected to a third term on the fact of the returns, but unseated in a contest.

During his legislative service he was particularly active on issues affecting labor. He was chief clerk of the house of the fifty-third general assembly, and in 1925 became chief engineer of the state prison.

Mrs. William Turbett was born on a farm in Shelby County, Illinois. Her father was a successful bridge contractor. He later moved to Normal, Illinois where his children could be given the advantages of a higher education. Mrs. Turbett attended the college and studied domestic science. She met Mr. Turbett at Matoon, Illinois where her parents had moved and at eighteen years of age she married Mr. Turbett.

Three children were born to this union, one dying here at three years of age. A daughter attended the parochial schools and public schools here and was married December 26, 1936 to J. C. Delisle who was with the Navy. The third child was a daughter named Bill May.

When her husband died in 1927, Mrs. Turbett took over the management of the business he had established, the Step Up Buffet on East High Street. She also took over the lease of the Fairview Hotel and managed both businesses.

John Tweedie, Sr.

John Tweedie was born at Moffat, Dumfriesshire, Scotland, September 28, 1838. He learned the business of shoemaking in his father’s shop. The trade had been followed by the Tweedie family for generations before him. When John Tweedie was sixteen his father died and John came to the United States in 1856.

He worked in New York City and New England prior to the Civil War. At the outbreak of that war he enlisted with the Ninth Rhode Island Infantry, and later in the Fifteenth Infantry of the regular army where he became first sergeant. He saw service from the first battle of Bull Run through Sherman’s march to the sea. He remained in government service until 1867, helping to lay out some government cemeteries, and was superintendent of the cemetery at Andersonville, Georgia. He also worked as superintendent of construction for Negro schools under the Peabody fund.

John Tweedie went to St. Louis in 1869 as foreman for the Cochran and Linden Shoe Company, and in 1872 took a similar position with A. Priesmeyer & Company. In 1874 he came to Jefferson City where he became one of the organizers of the A. Priesmeyer Shoe Company here and became manager of the factory. Mr. Tweedie was active in this business until his death in 1908.

John Tweedie was a quiet and kindly man. On his military discharge papers are written the words, “He was a superior soldier.” He was married May 1, 1867, to Anna De Beruff whose father was a native of Germany of French parentage, and an artist by profession. He served in the Confederate Army. Mrs. Tweedie died in 1934.

John S. Tweedie purchased this Victorian style residence in 1888. Through the years, the building has been a boarding house, a funeral home and a refurbishing antique business. The Tweedie House was renovated in 1996 with community financial contributions as well as many hours of volunteer labor. Today, the Friendship House which is affiliated with Hospice of Jefferson City serves the community from this historic structure.

Charles Tweedie

Charles Tweedie, born June 23, 1874, was one of the six children of John and Anna Tweedie. As a youth he entered the shoe factory where he became familiar with every feature of the business. Charles became President of the company when his father died in 1908. In 1917 the business became Tweedie Footwear Corporation. While president and general manager, Charles Tweedie was active in the designing department; he was the inventor of a number of accessories. A branch plant opened in Versailles, Missouri in 1925. The plant was converted to the war effort in 1942 as a maker of shelter halves. The Boliver Street factory opened in 1942 and became the largest producer of canvass leggings in the United States.

Mr. Charles Tweedie was married in 1899 to Miss Lillian Willamette Reed. They had two children, William Reid and Lillian Willamette. The son was vice-president and assistant general manager of the factory.

Charles Tweedie died June 15, 1945 in St. Louis at the age of 71.

Please reload

Lee Van Horne

Lee Van Horne was born in Knox County, Missouri in 1889. His father, Lewis Van Horne was born in Zanesville, Ohio; his bother was a native of Canada. The family left Edina when Lee was twelve years old and moved to a farm near Auxvasse in Callaway County. His mother died in 1930.

Van Horne attended college in Kirksville then began farming at Hallsville. He took a job doing grading for the Wabash Railroad which led to a full time occupation. He built many miles of highway for the state, working for four years as a subcontractor then becoming a contractor. His first highway job was in Pike County, from Bowling Green to Louisiana, Missouri. He built highways in Schuyler, Macon, Adair, Audrain, Miller, Camden, Cole, Callaway, Pike and Lincoln Counties. He constructed the reservoir for the waterworks at Bowling Green.

Mr. Van Horne was married to Miss Leona Conklin of Columbia in 1918. They had a daughter, Betty.

George Johnston Vaughan

George J. Vaughan was born on a farm near Lexington in Fayette County, KY on June 22, 1846. When ten years of age, he moved with his widowed mother to Lawrence County, IN; ten years later (1866) they came to Jefferson City. He was first a brakeman on the Missouri Pacific Railroad, becoming conductor on a freight train, and in 1875 he was made ticket agent and yardmaster for the Missouri Pacific at Chamois, MO.

Returning to Jefferson City in 1877, he opened a general store at the corner of Mulberry and McCarty, which he conducted for eight years. The following two years he was City Clerk. In 1881 he accepted a position with the Missouri Pacific as conductor of the passenger train on the Lebanon Branch and remained in this position for fourteen years. He was postmaster under President Cleveland (189401898), his successor being G. F. Robinson.

In 1897 he organized the Vaughan-Monnig Shoe Company in connection with R.S. Harvey, J.S. Fleming and Hugo Monnig, and was President of the company. In 1899 he engaged in the furniture and undertaking business, associating in partnership with Judge Joseph Stampfli, the firm being Stampfli & Vaughan.

On November 5, 1872, he was united in marriage to Miss Annie Kolkmeyer of Jefferson City. He died June 20, 1927 and is buried in St. Peter’s Cemetery in Jefferson City.

Bernard G. Vieth

Bernard G. Vieth was born in Jefferson City September 21, 1857. His education was in St. Peter’s Parochial School. As a young man he learned the trade of brick making with B. H. Pohl, in which business he continued for ten years. He then worked at the cooper’s trade for the Dulle Milling Co. for six years, from there taking a position with William W. Wagner of the Monroe House with whom he continued five years. He then formed a partnership with C. J. Miller in ownership of the City Hotel for three years.

In 1896 he disposed of his interest and purchased the Madison Hotel, enlarging and making numerous improvements—adding new carpets, electric light, steam heat, bath and all the modern conveniences.

Mr. Vieth was married in 1892 to Miss Lizzie Tihen of Jefferson City. They had a daughter, Angeline.

Mrs. Mary Vineyard

Mrs. Mary Frances Haviland Vineyard was a native of Albany, New York. Her maternal grandparents, Matthew and Chloe Hammen, came to Missouri prior to the Civil War and drove from Jefferson City by ox team to a site on St. Louis Road where they established a home.

Mrs. Vineyard’s father was Frank A. Haviland of the family that manufactures Haviland china. His ancestors came to America in the colonial period. A relative, Dr. Ebenezer Haviland, was killed in the Revolutionary War. At his home in Rye, New York he entertained Washington, Lafayette and other famous guests. Her grandfather, Elisha B. Haviland, was a captain and owner of a line of sailing ships. The family name was originally De Haviland. Its genealogy is traced in England to the fourteenth century. From 1650 to 1700 many of its members were prominent in Rhode Island and Long Island.

Frank Haviland was influenced by Matthew Hammen to come west in search of opportunities in a new country. In Jefferson City he met Mary Hammen, daughter of Matthew and Chloe, whom he married and returned to New York where he died. Mrs. Haviland and her young daughter moved to Kansas City where Mary Frances Haviland married W. E. Vineyard, member of a well known Kansas City family. When he died she returned to Jefferson City.

In the late 1800s Mrs. Vineyard’s mother bought fifteen acres of land southeast of Jefferson City. This tract was developed by Mrs. Vineyard as a residential district, Vineyard Square. Mrs. Vineyard planned and built 20 two-story modern homes, acting as her own contractor.

Frederick W. Vogel

Frederick William Vogel was born on a farm near Tipton January 8, 1886, the son of Frank Vogel, a native of Germany, and Sybilla Angenendt Vogel, sister of Judge Theodore Angenendt (see sketch). After the death of his father in 1903 Mr. Vogel left Tipton, coming to Jefferson City to work for Judge Henry Dulle on the farm which is now Washington Park. Miss Clara Sailer, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Henry Sailer (see sketch), became Mrs. F. W. Vogel on November 17, 1908.

From his job on the farm Mr. Vogel worked successively for the J. B. Bruns and the Roberts, Johnson and Rand Shoe Manufacturing Companies. Following his marriage he went with his bride to Tipton where he went into the poultry business. This business he sold in 1910 to open a similar one at Wright, Kansas, to which he added a meat business. In 1912 he returned to Jefferson City where he conducted a meat market on Richmond Hill. He had been here but seven weeks when he was taken to the hospital because of inflammatory rheumatism.

While recuperating from a long and dangerous illness, Mr. Vogel found himself unable to do the manual labor incident to his former business. His father’s early death and solicitude for the future of his family gave him a vision of the great need for life insurance. He secured an agency contract and wrote his first policy in the fall of 1912. Continuing in this work with increasing success, in 1925 he accepted a contract with the Capital Mutual of Jefferson City in his first ten months with them sold fifteen hundred policies, which earned him a promotion to supervisor.

In the spring of 1928 he resigned from this position for the purpose of perfecting plans for the creation of a new company according to his own ideals. This included a rate within the reach of people of modest means; assessments levied only according to actual losses; a mutual company organized to benefit policy holders rather than officers. His plans perfected the ensuing fall, he secured charter members, deposited the necessary securities with the state department of insurance, and on October 16, 1928, was granted a charter for the United Mutual Insurance Association. From the inception of his company it was the hope of Mr. Vogel that some of his own children would join him in carrying on its work.

Fred, Jr., eldest son of Mr. and Mrs. Vogel, was born September 10, 1909. He was married August 29, 1934 to Miss Blandina Lueckenhoff, a native of Jefferson City. Fred became secretary-treasurer of the United Mutual. Arthur H., a member of the company’s board, was born May 17, 1911. He married Margaret Lovett of St. Louis, June 9, 1936. Gerald S., also a board member was born June 3, 1914. He married Geneva Mertens of Morrison, May 19, 1938. Their other children were Mildred C., born August 23, 1916, a stenographer for the association; Ruth Elizabeth born December 21, 1921; Jerome W., October 6, 1923; and Velma Rose, July 26, 1925. Two children died in infancy when Mr. and Mrs. Vogel lived at Tipton.

Edwin A. Vogt

Edwin Arthur Vogt was born in Jefferson City January 20, 1890. His parents were Joe and Adelaide Osberghaus Voght. His mother died around 1900 at the age of forty-seven. His father died in 1913 at the age of fifty-six.

Joe Voght was born at Frankfort-on-Main, Germany and came to America when fourteen years old, locating in New Jersey. He was a skilled tailor. In 1884 he came to Jefferson City to become superintendent of the Charles L. Lewis Clothing Company, which position he held until their factory burned in 1890 and they did not rebuild. During World War I he worked for the Charles L. Lewis Company. Mr. Vogt established a shop in town in the old Monnig building, 225 Madison Street, where he employed as many as seven tailors. When their factory burned and the company ceased business here, Mr. Vogt gave his time to the management of his own tailoring business and for a good many years he ran a men’s clothing store at 112 East High Street.

E. A. Vogt learned tailoring from his father as a boy and from the time he was grown devoted his time to that and the management of Crystal Cleaners. In 1914 he was married to Miss Clara Gay Burkett, a native of Jefferson City, daughter of John T. and Sallie Burkett. Mr. and Mrs. Vogt had three children: Myrene born May 29, 1918, John born October 11, 1920 and Dolores Gay born January 14, 1931.

Please reload

Conrad Wagner

Conrad Wagner was born on a farm near Osage City May 1, 1849. He attended Jones’ Commercial College, St. Louis, graduating in 1869. He moved to Jefferson City where he worked in the brewery his father had recently purchased from John Gundelfinger, continuing here until his father retired from business in 1887. At that time he partnered with his brother, Lawrence, and continued to operate the brewery until 1892 when it was sold to the Moerschel Brothers.

He then engaged in the wholesale wine, beer and liquor business with his brother Lawrence in Colorado Springs. In addition to this and other property interests in Jefferson City, Mr. Wagner was a stockholder and director in the First National Bank.

He was united in marriage October 8, 1878, to Theresa C., daughter of Albert Walther, a farmer near Ewing Station. To this union were born four sons and one daughter: Adolph L., Edwin L., Frieda, Emil and Paul. Mr. Wagner was a member of the Evangelical Central Lutheran Church. The family resided at 113 West Ashley.

George Wagner

George Wagner was born in Schwarzach, Bavaria, February 13, 1821, and immigrated to this country at the age of twenty, settling on a farm near Osage City in Cole County. He was educated in the private schools of Bavaria.

In 1846 he built the first brewery established in Cole County, two and one-half miles west of Osage City. He operated this enterprise until 1870 when he moved to Jefferson City and purchased a plant on the city’s south side. He ran this business with his sons Conrad and Lawrence until his retirement in 1886. His sons later sold the enterprise to the Moerschel brothers.

He was elected Sheriff of Cole County on the Republican ticket in the fall of 1878 and re-elected in 1880. He served as Alderman of Jefferson City a number of years. He was a member of the Evangelical Central Lutheran Church and also of the IOOF.

He was united in marriage February 27, 1849, to Anna R., daughter of Nicholas Wolfrum, an Osage City farmer who was also a native of Bavaria. Mr. Wagner was the father of thirteen children, seven who survived: Conrad, Lawrence, William W., Henry, Christopher, Louis and Katharine, the wife of George Peasner.

George Wagner died September 24, 1895, at the age of 74 years.

William Wagner

William W. Wagner was born on a farm in Cole County, New Liberty Township, February 10, 1855, the son of George and Katherine Wolfrum Wagner. His father immigrated from Bavaria, Germany to this country in 1844. William received his early education in the neighboring schools, later graduating from Jones’ Commercial College of St. Louis.

As a young man he was Deputy Sheriff under his father, being afterward elected to that office, serving two terms. After engaging in various other pursuits, he became the proprietor of the Monroe House in Jefferson City.

Mr. Wagner was united in marriage November 16, 1876, to Miss Lena, daughter of John Bohrer of Jefferson City. Six children were born of this union, three boys and three girls: Victor, Alma (wife of Fred C. Binder), George, Stella, Alfred and Edwina.

Mr. Wagner was a stockholder and director in the Jefferson City Water Works Co., the Bridge and Transit Co., the Jefferson City Light, Heat and Power Co., being President of the latter. He also had interests in mining properties in the southern part of the county. He was a Knight Templar, member of the I.O.O.F., Elks, K. of P. and M.W.A.

Conrad Waldecker

Conrad Waldecker was born on a farm in Gasconade County, MO on November 22, 1857. At the age of 21 he entered Central Wesleyan College at Warrenton, working as a teacher to help pay for his education. After studying law one year in the office of Peers & Morsey at Warrenton, he attended the Missouri State University at Columbia, graduating from the Law Department in 1889.

After spending a few months at his old home, he came to Jefferson City and became a partner of Hon. W. S. Pope, which partnership continued three years. In April 189e, he was elected City Attorney of Jefferson City and was re-elected in 1895 and 1897. In 1898 he was elected Prosecuting Attorney of Cole County and continued both offices until the expiration of his term as City Attorney in April 1899.

In January 1899, Mr. Robert P. Stone became associated with him, the firm being Stone & Waldecker. He made his home at 305 Monroe Street.

H. J. Wallau

Henry J. Wallau was born in Alsbach, Germany in July 14, 1851. He came to Jefferson City September 25, 1882 accompanied by his wife and four children. Six more children were born to the couple. Their children were: Mrs. Mary (Leo) Dulle, Mrs. Anna (Bart) Wallendorf, Mrs. Helen Finnell, Sister Loretta of St. Mary’s Hospital, Mrs. Sam Eveler, Joseph, George, Albert, Mrs. Ralph Moore and Henry who died in 1918. (Henry had a twin who died as an infant). He had a total of twenty grandchildren. The first grandchild to be married was Louise Wallendorf.

He began work for Fred H. Binder on the Catholic Church, having learned the carpenter’s trade under an uncle in Germany. Leaving Mr. Binder’s employ, he worked for A. T. Manchester & John Beckby for three years. In the spring of 1886 he went into business on his own as a general contractor and builder, starting a planning mill on West Water Street.

His first contract on his own was that of Bockrath’s store building on Richmond Hill. Among the buildings he erected were St. Peter’s Hall, Lincoln Institute Normal Hall, Capitol Brewery and Ice Plant, G. H. Dulle Mills, Cole County Court House, Gasconade County Court House, Dormitory for Missouri University, hospital, chapel and kitchen at State Hospital No. 1 at Fulton, St. Mary’s Hospital, the Public Library, the Moerschel home on Swift’s Highway and the Missouri Pacific Station.

Mr. Wallau always took an interest in civic affairs and lent his aid to the development of the city. He was a staunch and loyal Democrat. He represented his ward for fourteen years, seven terms, in the city council and was twice elected mayor by large majorities. He was responsible for the covered water-way on Miller Street, carrying the waters of the branch under the street for two city blocks. He became largely interested in Jefferson City property and at the time of his death left a large estate in property. He purchased the sand boat from the Kay Brothers and formed the Jefferson City Sand Company.

He was a member of St. Peter’s Catholic Church, Catholic Knights of America, St. John’s Orphan Society and St. Peter’s Benevolent Society.

He was married to Miss Annie M. Dinkelbach in Germany on May 13, 1876. They made their home at 719 West McCarty.

Mr. Wallau was stricken with a mysterious ailment and was in St. Mary’s Hospital for about a month. He had an operation and showed marked improvement but complications later developed and he died in February 1927. His widow died in 1937.

G. W. Walther

George W. Walther, was a furniture dealer and undertaker in Jefferson City with his business located at 106 West High Street. He was a son of “Squire” Albert Walther, a native of Bavaria Germany who immigrated to America in 1839, later moving to Jefferson City in 1866. Here he engaged in the grocery business two years, when he disposed of his interest and returned to his farm where he died April 15, 1879.

George W. Walther was born on the farm eight miles east of Jefferson City February 8, 1853. His early education was in the neighboring schools. Coming with his father to Jefferson City in 1866, he finished his education in the public schools there. Except for the few years his father lived in Jefferson City, he was continuously with him on the farm until twenty-seven years of age, growing wheat and potatoes and raising livestock.

In 1880 he purchased the old homestead which he continued to run successfully until 1896, when he moved to Jefferson City and opened his furniture and undertaking business.

He was united in marriage October 27, 1881, to Miss Louise, daughter of Fred Guenther, a Morgan County farmer. One child, Hilda, was born of this marriage and she became the wife of Frank Wymore.

In the fall of 1894 Mr. Walther was the nominee of the Republican Party for the office of Collector of Cole County, but he was defeated by Thomas Mahan by a small majority. Mr. Walther was a member of the Evangelical Central Church, I.O.O.F. and Brotherhood of Elks. He lived at 128 West McCarty with his wife, daughter, son-in-law and their family.

The Walz Family

Anna Margaretha Meister was born in Germany in September 1849 and grew up in the Honey Creek area of Cole County. As a young woman she moved to St. Louis where she met and married Charles J. “Carl” Walz, a native of Baden, Germany and twelve years her senior. When Carl died in 1879, his wife returned to Cole County with their four children, Elizabeth Catherine, Charles Julius “Carl” Jr., Mollie (Amelia) and Henry.

Elizabeth, born March 1869, married Joseph Schmidli on January 28, 1890. She died December 1945 in Cole County. Mollie, born August 1876, married Martin Gipfert, son of Wilhelm Gipfert, on December 12, 1900. Henry, born January 16, 1880, worked for the Hugh Stephens Printing Company. He died in an accidental fall from an automobile May 9, 1927.

Carl Walz, born July 1870, married Anna Hutschreider in 1893. He died July 7, 1922. Their first child was born in Jefferson City in 1894. At the age of fourteen, Milo Walz went to work for the Hugh Stephens Printing Company as a bookbinder. In 1923 Milo Walz was married to Miss Esther Beck, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J. L. Beck, of an old Jefferson City family. They had eight children: Doris, Milo, Jr., Herbert, Don, Ruth, Robert, Richard and James. Mr. Walz was a member of the Chamber of Commerce, Veterans of Foreign Wars, American Legion and the Evangelical Church.

In World War I he served in the 342nd Field Artillery, 89th Division and served about fourteen months overseas. Following his discharge at the end of the war he resumed his work with the Hugh Stephens Company.

In 1924 Mr. Walz bought the old Doerhoff store at 128 E. Dunklin Street after the death of Mr. Doerhoff. He remodeled the building and as the building grew he acquired additional space at 704 Madison Street and opened the enlarged store in November 1936 and converted the Dunklin Street store to a hardware business. In 1963 a Tru-Value Hardware store, managed by Milo’s son Don, was added at 713 Madison.

Carl “Buck” Walz, the second son of Carl and Anna Walz, was born in Jefferson City in 1898. He attended school in Jefferson City, Sweet Springs and Eldon. He worked for the Midland Printing Company prior to being elected sheriff in 1936. He was one of the local leaders of the Democrat Party and a member of the city council for eight years before being elected sheriff. He was also a leader in labor circles and served as president of the Central Trades and Councils and vice-president of the state federation of labor. He was a member of the Evangelical Church.

Mr. Walz was married August 9, 1919, to Miss Sophia Kuper of Bonnot’s Mill, daughter of Herman and Lizzie Fox Kuper. Mr. and Mrs. Walz had five children: Carl, Jr., Arthur, Howard, Wanda Lee, and Franklin Bedford.

Edwin M. Watson

Edwin M. Watson was born in Callaway County, November 29, 1867, the son of Dr. and Mrs. B.A. Watson. When he was five years old his family moved to Columbia where he attended the public school until the age of 14, when he entered the office of the Columbia Herald where he remained three years.

In 1890 he graduated from the Missouri State University with an A.B. Degree. His first job was as a reporter on the St. Joseph Ballot, a Democratic paper established that year by Col. William M. Hyde. Soon after he accepted a position as staff correspondent and special writer for the Ft. Worth (TX) Gazette, which at that time was the leading Democratic daily of the Lone Star State. He later accepted a position as city editor of the Daily Mail of Ft. Worth, an afternoon paper.

In 1894 he returned to Columbia and entered the law department of the University, graduating in 1896. In the spring of 1897 he was nominated by the Democratic Party and elected to the office of City Attorney of Columbia, which office he resigned in November 1898 to accept the position of editor of the State Tribune Daily and Weekly.

Judge Henry J. Westhues

Judge Henry J. Westhues was born in Westphalen, Germany June 5, 1888. His parents were William and Teresa Peters Westhues, the father being a soldier of the Franco-Prussian War. In 1892 the family came to America and settled on a farm near Glasgow, Howard County, where William Westhues died October 6, 1921.

Judge Westhues attended parochial school at Glasgow then went to St. Louis University where he graduated in law in 1912. He began the practice of law in Jefferson City, was appointed city attorney in 1913 and elected to that office in 1914. In 1918 he was elected prosecuting attorney of Cole County, and re-elected in 1920. In 1922 he was elected judge of the Fourteenth Judicial Circuit and re-elected in 1928. In 1930 he was appointed Supreme Court Commissioner to fill the vacancy caused by the resignation of Judge Berryman Henwood, re-appointed in 1931 and again in 1935 for a four year term.

Judge Westhues was a republican, a member of the Kiwanis Club, a Catholic and Knight of Columbus. He was married August 22, 1916, to Miss Helen Roer. They had seven children: Rosemary, Marie, John Henry, Marjorie, Jane, Elaine and Marilyn.

F. J. Weiler

Frank J. Weiler was born on a farm near Lohman, June 9, 1874, the son of Joseph and Louisa Weiler. He was raised on the farm and educated in the district. He first worked for six months with H. Bockrath, shoe manufacturer, before moving to Russellville. There he worked for two years as salesman for B.W. Lansdown when he engaged in the grocery and restaurant business on his own. The business he continued with marked success for four years.

He disposed of the business in 1898 and embarked on the general mercantile business. Mr. Schubert joined him one year later and they incorporated under the name Schubert & Weiler Mercantile Company. Mr. Weiler is Vice-President of the firm.

May 18, 1897, he married Miss Dale Chambers of Russellville. They had one son, Herbert.

Judge Foster S. Wheatley

Foster S. Wheatley was born in Mayview, Lafayette County, April 15, 1892, the son of Thomas W. and Gertrude Maw Wheatley. His mother’s family came from England. The Wheatley family of six came to Jefferson City in 1906 where Thomas W. Wheatley held a position at the state penitentiary. He died in 1921 at the age of sixty-eight.

In his youth, Foster S. Wheatley worked in a variety of jobs including a shoe factory and bakeries. He was with the old American Express Company from 1911 to 1915 and in 1916 entered the employ of the Wells-Fargo Company, with which he remained until 1931. He was disqualified for service in World War I because of his vision. In 1935 he became police judge of Jefferson City.

Foster S. Wheatley was married in 1919 to Miss Lula Mae Rankin of Eldon, daughter of James and Ollie McClain Rankin. Mr. Rankin was an employee of theRock Island Railway. Judge and Mrs. Wheatley had three children: Rankin Waller, Harold James and daughter Jerene.

Dr. G. B. Winston

Dr. George Bickerton Winston was born in Green County, KY, June 9, 1822 and came to Missouri with his father who settled in Cole County in 1833. He graduated from McDowell’s Medical College in St. Louis with the class of 1846. The same year he volunteered for the war with Mexico, and was elected Second Lieutenant of Company F.

On his return from California after a few years, he began the practice of medicine.

He married Miss Sarah F. Hough of Jefferson City in 1853 and had three sons living in 1900: Dr. Warwick Winston was in Shanghai, China practicing dentistry; George Bickerton Winston was in Anaconda Montana practicing law; Charles A. Winston was residing in Jefferson City residing with his mother, Sarah F. Winston.

Dr. Winston was one of the unfortunate excursionists from St. Louis in November 1855, on the railway train that went down with the Gasconade Bridge.

Thomas Miller Winston

Thomas Miller Winston was born near Greensburg, Greene County, KY, September 14, 1816. He came to Jefferson City in 1833 with his uncle, Capt. Thomas Miller, a merchant for whom he clerked six years. In 1839 he formed a partnership with P.T. Miller and purchased the store of his uncle, continuing until they sold the business in 1846.

In 1847 he engaged in the livery and feed business, purchasing a stable located where the post office now stands. He later engaged in the mercantile business for a year then sold an interest to Mr. McKenzie and the operated under the name of Winston & McKenzie until the fall of 1851. In 1952 Mr. Winston purchased the drug store of Dr. P. Dorris, continuing the business several years.

He was appointed Sheriff under Governor Gamble to fill the unexpired term of William Bolton. He was elected to the office of sheriff, serving one term; he served two terms as Coroner of Cole County. In 1868 he was elected Door-keeper of the State Senate, serving three years and at the same time served as Commissioner of the Permanent Seat of Government, having charge of the construction of the stone wall around the Capitol grounds, built with convict labor.

March 6, 1877, he was appointed Marshal of the State Supreme Court, which office he continued to hold until the time of his death, January 29, 1885.

Mr. Winston was married December 19, 1848 to Miss Sallie Chapman Miller of Greenburg, KY. Six children were born to this union: Kittie C., died at the age of eighteen; George N., Benjamin W., Thomas M., Nannie M. and Ida. The family lived at 321 East Dunklin Street.

Edward H. Winter

Edward H. Winter was born at New Truxton, Missouri, April 5, 1879, the son of Frederick A. and Dorothea Winter. Frederick A. Winter served four years in the Union army. He lived for sixty years on the same Warren County farm, dying at the age of eighty-four. His wife died at the age of sixty-seven; they had thirteen children.

Graduating from Central Wesleyan College at Warrenton in 1905, Mr. Winter bought the Warrenton Banner the following year and published it until 1927 when in partnership with R. C. Goshorn he bought the Jefferson City Tribune and the Jefferson City Post, consolidating them into the Post-Tribune. Soon afterward they bought the Capital-News, organizing the Tribune Printing Company and publishing a morning and an afternoon newspaper. Mr. Winter was president of the Missouri Press Association in 1926. In 1933 he disposed of his interest in the Jefferson City newspapers and went into the investment business.

Mr. Winter, a Republican, was also active in state and local politics. In 1921-22 he was probate judge of Warren County. Following this he was for three successive terms representative from that county, being speaker of the house in the session of 1927. In 1928 he was elected lieutenant-governor, and served four years, and was the nominee of his party for governor in 1932 when a national Democratic landslide made his election impossible. He was chairman of the county and congressional committee, and member of the state committee. He belonged to a number of civic and fraternal organizations and was a member of the Methodist Church.

Governor Winter was married October 18, 1905, to Miss Adena M. Koelling, daughter of Charles H. and Martha Koelling of Warren County. Her father was for many years in the milling business. Mrs. Winter was a graduate of Central Wesleyan College. The couple had three children: Lyman Laurent and Karl Edward who went into business with their father; and Dorothea Martha Marie who married Paul R. Busch, a publisher in Howells, Nebraska.

George H. Wyatt, Jr.

George H. Wyatt, Jr., son of George and Sara Jane Owens Wyatt, was born on a farm five miles west of Jefferson City in Cole County, October 29, 1863. He was educated the local schools until he was thirteen then was placed in school at California, MO, making his home with an uncle, Judge Samuel H. Owens. In 1879 he entered the Christian Brothers College at St. Louis, graduating in 1881. He returned to Jefferson City and entered the law office of Smith & Krauthoff as confidential clerk and law student. He remained in this position three years then entered the Law Department of the Louisville (KY) University, graduating in 1885.

Returning to Jefferson City he engaged in the practice of law in partnership with Hon. W.S. Pope, and was later elected City Attorney. He soon resigned this position and went to Texas where he engaged in newspaper work for two years, most of the time editor-in-chief and business manager of the Trade Review of Waco, TX. Returning to MO in 1889, he established the Weekly Sentinel at Linn Creek, Camden County.

Because of illness he sold this plant and returned to Jefferson City. Recovering, he engaged in farming until January 1899 when he was elected clerk of the Joint Revision Committee, completing his work November 1, 1899. He returned to the practice of law.

His ancestors were among the early pioneers of Cole County, his grandfather coming here from Virginia in 1816 when Missouri was still a territory. His mother was a member of the Owens family, of social prominence in Kentucky. He was united in marriage in Louisville, KY December 17, 1886, to Rebecca Jessamine, daughter of Lucy Elizabeth (Young) and Walter Powhatan Mayo. Their children were Sarah Eugenia, Sherwood Mayo, Dorothy (called “Dottie Dimple”) and Walter P. They made their home on the Wyatt homestead five miles west of Jefferson City.

Harry Wyman

Harry Wyman was born in Cleveland, Ohio September 14, 1867 where he attended school in his early youth. At the age of 11 he entered his father’s grocery store and continued as a clerk for three years. He went to Chicago where he was employed as a clerk by his brother in a large department store until the age of sixteen when he was made floor walker. He continued in the position five years when he entered the employ of E. J. Lehman, owner of the “Fair”. Here he was the assistant manager for four years.

He moved to Humbolt, KS where he managed a department store for his brother for three years before taking a similar position in Arkansas City, KS where he remained five years. He moved to Pratt, KS where he was in business for himself, merchandising groceries, clothing and men’s furnishings. After six years he moved to Tipton, MO where he was in the clothing business until he moved to Jefferson City and opened the Golden Eagle One Price Store in 1897. Mr. Gus Hirschland joined him in partnership and they continued to operate until 1900 when they disposed of their joint interest, Mr. Wyman leasing the store for five years.

Mr. Wyman was married in Humbolt, KS, January 1885, to Miss Maggie C. Neely who had recently moved there from Neelyville, IL where her father was engaged in coal mining (the town being named for him). Harry and Maggie had two children, Arthur and Barbara Middlemarch. The family resided at 319 Monroe Street.

Carl F. Wymore

Carl F. Wymore was the son of Frank H. and Hilda Walther Wymore. Frank Wymore, born in Liberty, Missouri, September 27, 1882, came to Jefferson City about 1900 where he worked in the furniture and undertaking establishment of George Walther, whose daughter he married. He afterwards became a partner of Mr. Walther in the well known Walther-Wymore Furniture Company. He retired about 1928 and in 1931 moved to California.

Frank was the son of John and Ida Pratt Wymore, Clay County pioneers of Virginia and Kentucky descent. John Wymore, a merchant in Liberty, died about 1902. Mrs. Wymore died in 1916. Her father, George Walther, a prominent Jefferson City merchant, was married to Louisa Gunther. Mr. Walther died in 1917.

Carl Wymore attended Westminster College at Fulton, then went to William Jewell where he completed undergraduate work. He received his law degree from the Missouri State University in 1935. He was admitted to the bar the year prior to his graduation and opened an office in Jefferson City. In 1936 he was elected prosecuting attorney on the Democratic ticket. Mr. Wymore was married August 6, 1938, to Miss Natalie Brown of Kansas City, daughter of Dr. and Mrs. C.A. Brown.

Please reload

F. J. Zeisberg

Professor Franz Joseph Zeisberg came to Jefferson City I the spring of 1881 at the age of eighteen, from Schonfeld, Grafschaft Glatz, in the Sudenten mountains of Prussia Silesia. Thre he had grown up on a farm and was accustomed to manual labor from childhood. In Germany this did not interfere with educational pursuits, including the study of music. His father, Clemens Zeisberg, played several instruments and belonged to the church orchestra and the community band. His mother Theresia, nee Reinsch, sang in the choir. His parents reached the age of eighty and eighty-five respectively, his father dying in 1913 and his mother in 1922.

Professor Zeisberg was educated in a state teachers’ college in which the study of music was an important part of the curriculum. After trying farm life in Osage County and working in a brickyard in Jefferson City, (where he said he spent some of his happiest days), and clerking in a book and music store until he gained a working knowledge of English, he embarked on a music teaching career. Together with Professor Carl Preyer, he established a music school then called the Jefferson City Conservatory. He was also organist in several churches. Eventually Preyer went to Kansas State University and Zeisberg taught at the Elizabeth Aull Seminary, Lexington, MO.

Encouraged by William H. Sherwood to come to Chicago for a more suitable field, he went to that city where he soon became favorably known in the musical world. Answering a call from Martha Washington College, Abingdon, Virginia, he took over the directorship of the conservatory there in 1892 and what he had considered to be a temporary tenure became a term of thirty years in the service of that institution, with a brief intermission at Sullins College, Bristol, Virginia. His teaching specialties included piano, violin, organ, harmony and composition.

Professor Zeisberger’s compositions include many teaching pieces, many songs, male and mixed choruses, church music, two masses and about seventy fugues for organ and piano. In 1922 he gave up his exacting post at Martha Washington and he and Mrs. Zeisberg returned to Jefferson into practical retirement.

Clara M. Hugershoff married Franz Joseph Zeisberg on June 14, 1887 in Cole County. Mrs. Zeisberg was the stepdaughter of Fred H. Binder of Jefferson City. The Zeisbergs had three children: Fred C., of the DuPont Company, Wilmington, Delaware; Carl L. of the Evening Bulletin, Philadelphia, and Ella, a teacher of high school mathematics in Wilmington, Delaware.

Franz/Francis Joseph Zeisberg died in Cole County in September 1951. Clara died in February 1946.

Victor Zuber

Judge Victor Zuber was born September 3, 1841, at Sollothrum in the Republic of Switzerland. His parents immigrated to the United States starting in the fall of 1851, arriving February 1852. His father, Jerome Zuber, died in St. Louis while en route to Jefferson City. Victor served a three-year apprenticeship as a marble cutter under Fleming & Thompson.

In 1861 he responded to a call for volunteers and enlisted in Company B, Home Guards under Maj. William H. Lusk. In 1862 he enlisted in Company E, Tenth Missouri Cavalry and continued on active duties until the close of the war. He returned to Jefferson City in 1865 and worked as a marble cutter for E.J. Bedwell of Boonville. In 1866 he opened a marble shop at Tipton, moving the following year to Jefferson City where he established his marble works on Jefferson Street, south of the Merchants’ Bank.

Mr Zuber was married in 1861 to Miss Louise, daughter of Joseph and Theresa Brenneisen of Jefferson City. To this union was born six children: Bernetta (Mrs. Anthony Gallagher), Zerelda (Mrs. Charles H. Holtschneider), Mamie Katherine (Mrs. Edward Dulle), Frank and Cletus. His fourth child, Emanuel, died at the age of 4.

Judge Zuber was a member of the Catholic Church and St. Peter’s Benevolent Society. He served on the School Board for 3 years and about the same length of time on the City Council. He was Cole County Treasurer for four years and Judge from the First District. He was a Democrat in politics and made his home at 306 South Jefferson Street.

William E. Zuendt

The founder of the Zuendt family in America was Baron Ernst Anton Zuendt, born in Bavaria, who came with his family to America about 1860. He was a journalist and worked on newspapers in Milwaukee, St. Paul and St. Louis, being chosen poet laureate of the Turnverein in St. Louis. He came to Jefferson City as a teacher of the German language in the public schools.

William Zuendt, eldest of his four children, was four years old when Ernst Anton Zuendt came came to America. As a young man he became associated with his father-in-law, Christ Wagner, in the wholesale grocery business in Jefferson City. He had married Antonia Wagner, daughter of Christ Wagner, in 1879. Christ Wagner, a veteran of the Mexican War and a lieutenant in the Union army in the Civil War, was the son of Paul Wagner who came from Munich, Bavaria, and settled eight miles east of Jefferson City where he built what was said to be the first brewery in Cole County.

Christ Wagner became a baker by trade. He went to the Pacific coast in the gold rush of 1849, and there acquired considerable wealth. HE was elected treasurer of Cole County in 1862 and again in 1870. He was a personal friend of Governor Stewart, Joseph Pulitzer, and many prominent Missourians.

William M. Zuendt began as a clerk of the firm of Wagner and Scovern, later acquiring Mr. Scovern’s interest in the business. He was fatally injured in the railroad wreck on the newly built St. Louis, Jefferson City and Kansas Railway and died December 19, 1881. Mr. Wagner was killed in the same wreck.

William E. Zuendt, the only son of William M. and Antonia Wagner Zuendt, was born May 10, 1882. At the age of twenty he entered the employ of the First National Bank, and was vice-president and director at the time of its merger with the Exchange National Bank. He served for a time as commissioner of finance under Governor Baker. For some years he was engaged in the insurance business and in building and loan activities.

Mr. Zuendt married Miss Frederica Morlock, daughter of William Herman (see sketch) and Lena Kerser Morlock. Mr. and Mrs. Zuendt had three children: William M., Lucille A. and Robert E.

Please reload

bottom of page